As promised, below you can find my "souped up" (pun intended) Immune boosting Chicken Quinoa Soup recipe. To read more about recent research showing that chicken soup has scientific evidence supporting an anti-viral effect click here.
This soup has all the benefits if standard chicken soup plus the addition of garlic and tumeric for an added anti-viral and anti-inflammatory effect. I also replaced the noodles with quinoa for added protein. Wheat-based (contain gluten and egg) noodles promote inflammation in the digestive track which has a counter-productive effect on the immune system. Quinoa is gluten free grain and is packed with protein. Feel free to modify it to your liking.
Dr Hrkal’s Flu-Busting Chicken Quinoa Soup
1 free run, grain fed chicken breast
1 package of bone in chicken legs
3 large onions
1 cup cooked quinoa
8 cups of organic chicken stock (or spring water)
4 large carrots
4 celery stems
1 bunch of parsley
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
½ turmeric powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Clean the chicken, dice, put it in a large pot and cover it with cold water. Bring the water to boil.
2. Add the chicken legs, onions, turnips and carrots. Simmer on medium heat for about 1 hour. Remove fat from the surface as it accumulates.
3. Add the parsley, celery cayenne pepper, turmeric, and garlic . Cook the mixture about 45 min. longer.
4. Remove bay leaves.
5. Serve broth, meat and vegetables with cooked quinoa in bowl. (You may also put vegetables in the food processor to liquefy before adding them back into the soup).
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Welcome To My Blog
My goal is to post thought-provoking and informative articles so you can learn and apply the latest news from the world of natural health. Feel free to post comments and start a conversation. Stay tuned to my twitter and facebook feeds for the latest posts.